What we do
We conduct research on large-scale distributed systems and networking. Our approach is mainly experimental, focusing on the design, deployment and evaluation of systems that people use. Much of our work is guided by the unique perspective provided by devices at the edge of the Internet and captured through our users/collaborators who adopt and use our software. We are driven by a desire to provide solutions to real network and systems problems, while we also take pleasure in the scientific and engineering contributions that we make.
- Dec 19, 2013: Our paper No "One-Size Fits All": Toward a principled approach for incentives in mobile crowdsourcing was accepted to HotMobile 2014! This work was led by graduate student John Rula in collaboration with Vishnu Navda, Ranjita Bhagwan and Saikat Guha at Microsoft Research India.
- Oct 24, 2013: Some of Fabián's thoughts on the need to identify and collect meaningful metrics on Broadband availability appeared as a "Note from the editors" in IEEE Internet Computing, Sep-Oct 2013.
- Sep 09, 2013: Our Firefox browser extension for namehelp is now available for download!
- Feb 20, 2013: Como otimizar o DNS para a internet ficar mais rápida (Dicas para computador)
- Feb 15, 2013: DNS performansınızı ölçün, optimize edin! NameBench, DNS hızınızı optimize etme (chip.com.tr)
- Feb 12, 2013: How To Optimize Your DNS For Faster Internet (MakeUseOf)
Feb 12, 2013:
Comparing broadband services on users' terms
Paying for higher download speeds may not improve your web performance; it also depends on the pages you visit.
Oct 24, 2012:
Web Performance as Collateral Damage from Remote DNS
Using remote DNS such as Google DNS can result in poor web performance. Get the best of both worlds—the benefits of public DNS and the best web performance by installing namehelp today!
Apr 10, 2012:
Impact of New Zealand Copyright Legislation on BitTorrent Population
Number of BitTorrent users in New Zealand declines after copyright legislation is put into effect.